The I Dieci Commandementi (Italian: The Ten Commandments) are ten rules of protocol followed by the mafia. The name is derived from the biblical Ten Commandments, rules etched in Tablets for God to give to Moses.
The Ten Commandments were discovered when Salvatore lo Piccolo, the infamous kingpin of the La Cosa Nostra, was arrested on Nov 5, 2007 in Italy. They were found in Salvatore's briefcase and he carried him whereever he went
- 1. No one can present himself directly to another of our friends. There must be a third person to do it.
- 2. Never look at the wives of friends.
- 3. Never be seen with cops.
- 4. Don't go to pubs and clubs.
- 5. Always being available for Cosa Nostra is a duty - even if your wife is about to give birth.
- 6. Appointments must absolutely be respected.
- 7. Wives must be treated with respect.
- 8. When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth.
- 9. Money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to others or to other families.
- 10. People who can't be part of Cosa Nostra: anyone who has a close relative in the police, anyone with a two-timing relative in the family, anyone who behaves badly and doesn't hold to moral values.